Frank Johnson Jr., MD
Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Fellowship Trained in Sports Medicine
Dr. Frank Johnson Jr. specializes in sports medicine and has been practicing orthopedic surgery since 1985. He is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and fellowship trained in sports medicine.
Dr. Johnson is passionate about his career and love of sports. He played college basketball at Yale and is an avid golfer. He provides treatment and consultation to local high schools and colleges. Dr. Johnson has been a sports medicine physician for the World Gymnastics Championship, PanAmerican Track and Field, U.S. Olympic Canoe and Kayak Trials, the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championship, and the NCAA Track and Field Championship.
Dr. Johnson is a member of several professional societies including the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) and the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), both of which have highlighted his ability, knowledge, and education in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery. He has been a guest speaker at national orthopedic meetings and has published research in a scientific journal.
Dr. Johnson has been innovative in creating pre- and post-operative protocols for pain management, allowing for outpatient procedures such as partial knee replacement, total knee replacement, shoulder replacement, and ACL reconstructions with excellent outcomes.
With a philosophy of treating patients in a holistic manner, Dr. Johnson believes that a diagnosis points to treatment options for a patient, not just one treatment course. He takes into account the patient’s goals, circumstances, and injury before recommending a course of treatment.
Dr. Johnson places an emphasis on minimally invasive surgery with minimal patient pain utilizing less narcotics. Although Dr. Johnson’s expertise lies in arthroscopy and joint replacement, he also treats other areas of the body in his practice as an orthopedic and sports medicine physician.
Education & Training:
- Fellowship: Sports Medicine – Australian Sports Medicine Federation, Melbourne, Australia (1984-1985)
- Residency: Orthopedic Surgery – Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana (1980-1984)
- Internship: Orthopedic Surgery – Methodist Hospital of Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana (1979-1980)
- Medical School: MD – University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1975-1979)
- College: BA in Psychology – Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut (1971-1975)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Mid-America Orthopedic Association
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Indiana Orthopaedic Society
- Indiana State Medical Association
To see Dr. Frank Johnson in his Carmel, Indiana orthopedic practice, call (317) 582-7430. For his Kokomo, Indiana office call (765) 453-5815. You may also request an appointment using our online form.